Skiing In Aviemore
Aviemore is located in the Scottish Highlands, with breathtaking mountain views and an elevation of 26,000 feet above agricultural countryside. The area is known for its skiing, with two European Level Competitions held in the last two months on its snowy peaks. With 12,000 people hitting the slopes each month, the ski resort’s success with professional skiing has led to success with tourists. Snowboarding is also responsible for these huge numbers, with boarding-specific slaloms on one side of the mountains.
Aviemore recently unveiled a $4 million state-of-the-art ski lift that can move at speeds of up to 25 miles per hour, resist winds of up to 110 miles per hour, and weighs 450 tons in total. The incredible edifice stretches for almost 15 kilometers and is a sight to behold for any passionate skier. With 900 square feet and a huge patio area that faces down the 26,000-foot mountain slope, Aviemore’s tourist-based facilities are also rather stunning.
Aviemore is unfortunate in that it only has snow for 7 months of the year, preventing it from holding some of the world’s most prestigious events and putting Scotland on par with France, Switzerland, and now Bulgaria as one of the world’s top skiing destinations. The snowboarding world freestyle championships were recently held in the ski resort, and the facilities had to compete against numerous countries where the sport is significantly more popular than in Scotland. Many elements contributed to Scotland’s success; nevertheless, the accommodation facilities were believed to be substantially more robust than those of other countries that had submitted similar proposals.
Aviemore, with a robust economy based mostly on tourism, has the capacity to accommodate over 10,000 people per night, far exceeding any other bid. The rationale for this was partly due to its closeness to a nearby town that could also supply bed & breakfast lodging, allowing for additional tickets to be sold and increased visibility. Despite this, just 21% of ticket purchasers were Scots, leaving the remaining 79 percent to travel from all around the world.
The tournament’s success has sparked speculation that Aviemore will build on its initial success by hosting more tournaments in the following years, raising property values and alerting the hotel industry to the possibility of strong demand in the area. The average gradient of the Aviemore mountains far exceeds that of most skiing destinations in western Europe, making Aviemore the place to go for a European skiing trip, assuming the time of year is right.
With only 7 months of snow, Aviemore is considering constructing a confined facility where skiing and snowboarding may be enjoyed year-round. The mere mention of it would elicit ideas and proposals as to how they want to proceed, and on what magnitude. Would they want to compete with Berlin’s indoor amenities, or would they want something more basic? The fact is, there is growing speculation about a large-scale indoor facility, and this is undoubtedly something that would benefit the hotel industry in the area, which is rapidly growing but experiences a less-busy period for 5 months of the year when Aviemore is not in a condition to allow snowboarders or skiers to hit the slopes. Despite this, freestyle snowboarding continues, with artificially maintained snow in a half-pipe where snowboarders may practice and refine tricks in the same way that skateboarders do.
If you have never visited Aviemore, I strongly advise you to do so, whether or not you are a skier. The truth is that the views are breathtaking, the air is clean and fresh, and the people are wonderful. If you’ve never skied before, Aviemore is the perfect spot to start.