What is a VPN and how to choose one
A Virtual Private Network, also known as a VPN, is a network technology that creates a secure and private connection over an insecure network. It helps in creating a secure and private environment for a user. VPNs are used by individuals and businesses for protection against data theft. It also enables users to access content on the internet that would typically be blocked in their country.
How does VPNs work
In order to find the best VPN for your needs, it is important to understand how they work. First of all, not all VPN’s work the same way when it comes to encryption or security protocols they use. Secondly, you need to make sure that you are getting an app from a reputable company with a long history in business. Lastly, there are some key features that should be included in any good VPN service such as kill switches and DNS leak protection for maximum anonymity online.
It works by taking the connection to the internet and re-routing it through an encrypted server. The result is an encrypted tunnel between your device and this server that prevents anyone from seeing who you are communicating with on the internet.
The encryption is done at a high level, so even if someone gets into the VPN’s data center without authorization they would not be able to decrypt what you are doing online. A VPN can also provide privacy in public networks like Wi-Fi hotspots or coffee shops.
How to Choose the Best VPN for Your Needs
Choosing a VPN provider can seem like a daunting task, but it doesn’t have to be. In this article we will go over what you should look for when choosing the best VPN for your needs.
There are many factors you should take into consideration when deciding on which VPN to use.
- Consider the level of encryption that is used by the company. This is important because it will determine how secure your data is from external entities and governments.
- Think about where the company is based and their logging practices.
- Think about customer service quality and price point as well as if they offer any unique features that may be beneficial for your specific needs.
Different Types of VPNs and Benefits of Each Type
VPNs are an essential security tool to protect your data and identity. With that in mind, it is important to understand the different types of VPNs so you can find a solution that best fits your needs.
1. Tunneling: The most common type of VPN, tunneling works by encrypting the data in an IP packet before sending it over a public network, such as the Internet. Tunneling can be used for any type of information that can be digitized and transmitted over a network connection, including email, voice chats, Web browsing activities, instant messages and video streaming services.
2. Transport: Transport VPNs are designed for networks with limited or restricted access from outside networks or where connections to outside networks are unreliable or difficult to maintain due to firewalls or other restrictions on.
It also to note that VPN can have different types based on the following criteria
- Scale to which its being used
- Protocols available on the VPN
- Level of Privacy
Scale to which its being used
VPN could be used for an enterprise or for personal use. Enterprise VPN generally require setting up, scaling, connecting multiple locations and allowing secure remote connection.
There are VPNs that cater for individual and personal use. They include the prominent VPNS like fastestVPN, ExpressVpn and other.
Protocols available on the VPN
Protocols are important because they are responsible for the overall protection of the traffic passing through the network. Protocols VPNS use include PPTP, L2TP/IPSec, OpenVPN, SSTP, IKEv2
- Always OpenVPN if you have the option.
- Do not use PPTP protocols if you are concerned with security as it has being confirmed to be broken by the NSA.
- Avoid the use use SSTP protocol
- If the implementation is done well you can use L2TP.
- The open Source version of IKEv2 protocol can be used.
Level of Privacy
Most VPN companies that don’t keep logs are from countries that are known to keeping peoples privacy example in this case include ExpressVPN residing in British Virgin Islands) and CyberGhost residing in Romania.
There are VPNs like Torguard that is considered a good VPN but being a USA based company makes it more risky according to vpnmentor.
From pricing, VPN are divided into 3 types.
- Premium VPNs: Offer quality products including performance, security, privacy and good support
- Budget VPNs: These services are mostly as good ad premium services but also cost effective
- Free VPNS: These VPNs are only advised to be used when security is not a major concern.
VPNs are a good resources if you are in a location where you need to have a private internet. There are good VPNs our there that are affordable for your needs.
Tell us about VPNs you have used and your experience with them.